During the Bellingraths’ time in the 1930s and 1940s, the roads from Mobile to their Fowl River home were not paved, making traveling to and from Sunday service a huge undertaking. Therefore, the Chapel was designed for religious services for the Bellingraths and their guests.
The chapel was built in 1939, but after Mr. Bellingrath’s death in 1955, the space was closed; during the 1960s and 70s, it was used as a makeshift warehouse.
When the Mobile Coca-Cola bottling plant was sold to Wometco in 1981, it was suggested that the buyers donate something back to the Gardens. The result was a complete refurbishment of the Chapel, with the installation of pews and a communion table at the front. The metal casement windows were replaced by leaded glass windows created by Mobile’s Bell Stained Glass. Each window features a different flower found in the Gardens.
Today, the Chapel is often used for intimate wedding ceremonies. For information about weddings at Bellingrath Gardens and Home, please click here.